Losing Your Hair? This Little Pill Could Help.
In 30 Seconds
- Finasteride was launched in the United Kingdom in 2002, is used globally and is one of two Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved treatments for male pattern hair loss in the United States.
- 9 out of 10 men who take Finasteride experience positive results. It’s one of – if not the – best hair loss treatment, according to research.
- Not only does Finasteride help to prevent hair loss and thinning – it also promotes new hair growth. Expect your thatch to look thicker and wilder.
- Imagine a (very small) pair of pliers pulling on the roots of your hair – stunting its growth. This is DHT. Finasteride loosens the grip of those pliers. Letting your hair grow thick and strong.
Less on top than you once enjoyed? The days of thick, windswept hair seem like a distant memory? First of all, there’s no need to think losing your hair equals not winning at life. Just look at Bruce Willis for example. Or The Rock. Or Jason Statham.
If you’re not ready to embrace the bald then luckily there’s more than one solution. The one you may have heard of is Finasteride. AKA The secret to owning your own happiness. We joke but truth is, this hair loss treatment, which launched in the UK in 2002, has been said to work for 90% of men with male pattern baldness.1
There’s no need to think losing your hair equals not winning at life. Just look at Samuel L Jackson for example. Or Prince William. Or Jason Statham.
Here’s the lowdown on Finasteride and how it may help you regain that shampoo-ad thatch:
- Male pattern baldness affects approximately 50% of men in their 50s and over,2 and around 42% of men aged 18-49.3 The good news? Finasteride may be the solution to your hair woes.
- Imagine a (very small) pair of pliers pulling on the roots of your hair – stunting its growth. This is DHT. Finasteride loosens the grip of those pliers. Letting your hair grow thicker and wilder.
- 9 out of 10 men who take Finasteride experience positive results. It’s one of – if not the – best hair loss treatment, according to research. 4
9 out of 10 men who take Finasteride experience positive results. It’s one of – if not the – best hair loss treatment, according to research.
Finasteride: How To Use
- The 1mg tablet is to be taken daily.5 If missed, you can’t take it twice the next day. Take it with or without food but ideally at the same time each day.6
- Stay zen. The effects of Finasteride can be seen as early as 3-6 months, according to research. For some men that’s 6-12 months.7
- Keep at it. Let your hair do its growing. Best results are often seen after 1-2 years, but it all depends on your particular hair follicles so keep the faith. And keep growing…8
Finasteride: How It Works
Here’s the science bit:
Male pattern baldness occurs because of a combo of hereditary and hormonal factors.9 Your hair is created from follicles and each follicle produces a hair for about three years. As we balden, the hair follicles become smaller and smaller. This means that each hair becomes thin and sheds quicker.10
“Eventually, the very small follicle produces the very thin hair that does not grow out onto the skin surface, usually because of hormonal changes” explains Dr Earim Chaudry. “A hair follicle uses the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase to change testosterone (the main male hormone) into DHT. The follicles can become more sensitive to DHT and this is what causes them to shrink.”
- Finasteride works by blocking the production of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase.11
- This means the testosterone isn’t transformed into DHT, which is allegedly thought to be one of the keys that cause male pattern baldness.12
- By reducing the amount of DHT, body hair loss is reduced, according to studies and this may also boost the hair on your head!13
So now you have the facts. Bald and beautiful or a thick, windswept mane – thanks to Finasteride. The choice is yours. Whatever being good to you means – do that. After all, great men deserve great hair.